Year Admitted: 2004
Phone: (02) 9232 2722
Bankruptcy & Corporate Insolvency
Equity / Trusts
Industrial / Employment
Taxation and Revenue
Wills and Probate
Hakan has expertise in a broad range of practice areas though his experience has been focussed on commercial and property disputes.
Apart from general commercial and contract disputes based in common law and equity, he has acquired experience and expertise in the following areas:
- Insolvency disputes acting for liquidators, individuals or third parties;
- Statutory title insurance, fraud, proportionate liability and professional negligence (Torrens Assurance Fund) disputes under the Real Property Act acting for claimants or the Registrar General, in both administrative and litigated matters;
- Restraint of trade and executive employment contract disputes (termination and leave payments, bonus claims);
- Probate and wills and also property disputes based in informal arrangements, trusts, contracts and deeds;
- Misleading and deceptive conduct disputes with respect to commercial contracts, franchises, leases, real property, professional advice or generally conduct in a commercial or executive employment setting;
- Disputes pertaining to mortgages and loans, guarantees, leases, conveyancing and easements;
- Tax liability enforcement and freezing orders; and
- Prosecutions or penalty proceedings particularly in the work safety and construction industry areas.
From 2000 to 2004, Hakan was employed with Cowley Hearne Lawyers, a boutique commercial law firm based in North Sydney. This firm has since been incorporated into Thomson Geer Lawyers.
Law (Hons) and Economics, USyd (1998)
LLM, USyd (2014)
Community Service / Volunteering
Hakan has undertaken broader community and professional service by:
- Volunteering annual terms of service on the committees of the NSW Bar Association (Diversity & Equality Committee, Wellbeing Committee, and the Mediation Committee); and
- Undertaking pro bono work on several cases (appeals and administrative law issues) in the NSW Supreme Court and the Federal Court of Australia.